If you are someone who takes long journeys a lot, and the bane of your life is ensuring that your devices stay charged for the duration of your journey… We understand.
You might have looked into a lot of different options for ensuring that your device stays charged, be this reserving a seat nearest to a plug socket, or you might have invested in a power bank.
The thing with power banks is that you also have to ensure that they stay charged in order to serve you well.
This can be another added stress on top of making sure that all of your devices have enough charge to get you through your long journey… Adding another device to the pile can induce even more stress and pre-journey anxiety.
Well, you can actually purchase power banks with pass-through charging and this can be super helpful if you are taking a long journey. You will be able to charge your connected device AND the power bank simultaneously with pass-through charging.
Here’s the thing, pass-through charging is not the most efficient method of charging ever and it should really be avoided if you can.
But in a lot of long journey situations, pass-through charging does provide you with a charging experience that is pretty stress-free. You can charge up your device as well as ensuring that your power bank can also charge up too.
We know that this is a pretty saturated market though, and there are a wide range of power banks to choose from. And, it can be hard to know which power bank will be able to support pass-through charging.
Here, we have the top 5 power banks with the capability to charge another device and itself through pass-through charging along with a buyers’ guide.
This will detail the best features that you need to look out for when you are purchasing your power bank that supports pass-through charging.
OUR TOP PICK
This is a 4 in 1 magnetic power bank, in other words, this is a pretty high speed wall charger and also portable battery which really gives that snap and go in one compact package.
This power bank is a 10000mAh portable battery charger which ensures high-speed charging. In fact, when this device is in power bank mode then this charger has a 20W power delivery, along with 18W quick charge and also 15W wireless charge.
These features ensure that you get the speediest possible charge. This power bank is of course travel friendly, but considering the high capacity of the power bank this might seem surprising. With this power bank you will be able to travel worry-free!
- Universal compatibility - this power bank has 1 wireless output, 1 type C output along with 2 USB outputs. This means that all cell phones can be charged by this power bank.
- High capacity power bank - due to the capacity of this power bank you will be able to charge your device along with the power bank itself. This can be done through one of the USB ports.
- What you get with the power bank - this power bank comes with a universal ring for magnetic lanyards, a USB-C cable and also a manual guide. You also get an 18 months worry-free warranty with the power bank along with a 30 days exchange/refund policy.
- Not so compact - this power bank is not the most compact design ever - that’s not saying that it will weigh down your carry-on, but it needs some packing consideration.
The ROMOSS power bank is one of the best power banks that you can consider purchasing.
Not only does this power bank have a pretty huge capacity which will allow you to charge your devices multiple times before needing to recharge the power bank itself.
This makes this power bank perfect for taking on long journeys, or even to festivals, or even on long hikes. This power bank will even let you charge three devices at the same time!
This power bank is pass-through-supported so it can charge your devices while being charged itself.
This power bank charges devices through USB ports, so if you have any kind of device that is powered through a USB port then this charger will be able to charge it.
- Precise power display - with this power bank you will always know how much capacity you have left. This is because you can press the power button and view the power of the power bank with the digital LED display.
- Huge capacity supports pass through charging - this huge 40000mAh capacity can actually support 8 time recharge for an iPhone battery, or 8.2 times recharge for the Samsung S10. This long-lasting power bank will actually hold its charge for weeks - so it is perfect for long haul travel.
- 18W max PD 3-output and 2 input - this means that the power bank can charge QC-support devices right up to 80% in just 35 minutes. You can also charge three devices at the same time at the maximum speed. And, this power bank only takes 16 hours to recharge fully.
- You might find that this doesn’t charge straight away - you need to make sure that you run down the power bank’s battery before you can make that first charge, or you may find that your power bank won’t charge to 100% straight away.
This power bank is another great one on the market that supports pass-through charging. This power bank is pretty handy as it has an option to use wireless charging.
This will save you a lot of space in your bag, and minimizes that extra stress of bringing along your thousands of wires for your devices. This is sure to save you a lot of headaches!
This power bank has QuickCharge technology and also a USB type-C power delivery, so this means that you can charge a range of devices with this power bank.
You can even charge your laptops and notebooks that have USB-C ports, it is best to do this when they are in rest mode.
- Unlimited power - that’s right, you can actually convert this power bank from a 8000mAh power bank to an unlimited power device by plugging it into a wall outlet. This means that you can charge the power bank along with other devices through pass-through charging.
- Super fast charging speed - you can charge a device from the USB 3.0 port from 0% to 50% in just thirty minutes!
- Wireless charging - this power bank allows you to charge your devices wirelessly, so you can really save yourself a headache here! You can conveniently put your charge Qi wireless compatible device on the non-slip rubber padding. This will let you charge your device without the extra fuss of a cable
- Looks can be deceiving - to look at this power bank, you might just take the assumption that this is a mere wall plug. However, this is a super multi-use product - it is a wall plug, power bank and a wireless charger.
This two-pack power bank set will allow you to charge your devices on the go, and also around your home too.
You can charge your devices even when you are not near a plug socket in your home, and these power banks will let you charge your iPhone 2.4 times!
Both power banks have two USB output ports which detect all of the connected devices and they efficiently distribute the current output right up to 5V. In fact, the USB ports can fully charge the battery itself in 5 hours whilst charging other devices.
- Reliable Li-polymer cell - so, with the Li-polymer battery pack this power bank is a whole lot safer than any Li-ion charger.
- The design - this power bank is pretty small and is also slim. Considering this is a 10000mAh power bank, then the compact design of this is pretty surprising. The light and slim design makes this power bank really easy to carry around no matter where you are going.
- What you get with this power bank - well, we should say THESE power banks as you actually get two power banks! You also get two USB cables and a user manual. The great thing about Miady is that they have super friendly customer support too.
- Easy to misplace - if you are someone who loses things pretty easily, then these power banks might not be for you. These are super lightweight and super slim so you might find that this power bank is all too easy to misplace.
This power bank is equipped to give you a whole week of stress-free power. That’s right, when it is fully recharged this power bank has a lot of charge time.
This is due to the 30000mAh capacity, which can give an iPhone 12.6 full charges - so this power bank would be a must have for those of you who want unlimited gaming time. This power bank would also be perfect to take with you on hikes or camping festivals.
This power bank has 18W rapid recharge 3-input, and it only takes 11 hours to fully recharge this power bank. The micro-USB, lightning and unique USB type-C ports give you high convenience when it comes to recharging this power bank.
- Super fast charge - this power bank has the ability to charge your devices super fast, in fact, 4 times faster than the conventional chargers. The three USB outputs will allow you to charge your cell phone and a tablet device at the same time.
- Safe and reliable - the built-in intelligent safety system within the power bank ensures that you have complete protection for your devices. This includes reduced risk of overheating, over-charging, over-current, over-discharge and also short-circuit protection.
- Long lasting power - this power bank will give you a week of worry-free power, and a fully recharged power bank for this amount of time. That’s right, you do not have to worry about your power bank being charged because chance is, it should last you for quite some time!
- Does not come with a cable - this power bank does not come with its own charging cable, but it can be charged with any three types of cables that you are using for your device.
When it comes to looking for a power bank that supports pass-through charging, there are some key elements that you need to look out for.
This is because not all power banks will advertise that they can support pass-through charging, this is something that you need to work out for yourself.
The way that you do this is by looking at the power capacity of the power bank. If a power bank is 10000mAh or over, then this power bank will be able to support pass-through charging.
This also means that your devices will charge super quickly, along with the pass-through charging time being fast.
Additionally, the number of USB ports that the power bank has will also determine if it can support multiple devices as well as pass-through charging. Three USB ports will usually be a great indicator of a power bank being able to support pass-through charging.
When it comes to the size and the material of the power bank, this is not all that important in terms of working out whether or not to invest in a power bank. It all depends on what you want your power bank to do for you.
If you are looking for a more compact and lightweight power bank, then you can still find one that supports pass-through charging.
The more heavy-duty power banks are typically supporters of pass-through charging, but that does not mean to say that you can’t find some lightweight portable chargers that will do the same thing.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Pass-Through Charging And How Does It Work?
Pass-through charging will help you keep your power bank fully charged, and ready for you to use whenever.
Pass-through charging can also help you save time because you will not have to charge your power bank and your gadgets separately. Pass-through charging allows everything to be charged at the same time.
Do All Power Banks Support Pass-Through Charging?
Not all power banks can actually support pass-through charging. But, having a power bank with this feature does come with some advantages!
How Do I Charge My Power Bank?
Similarly to your smartphone or your tablet, you can just plug the correct charging cord into the power bank’s USB input. The other end of the charging cable will plug into a wall charger block unless it already has one hardwired onto it.