Smartphones have been making the move from wired headphones to wireless devices faster than some of us can keep up. While it is fantastic to avoid the dreaded cable tangle, not everyone is quite ready to say goodbye to the headphone jack.
If you have a beloved pair of wired headphones with life left in them, or you just don’t think the wireless option is right for you, you probably need an adapter.
Even without the headphone jack, it is possible to use your wired headphones alongside your smartphone.
All you require is a USB Type C headphone adapter. This plugs into your phone’s USB-C port, and then you can plug your favorite headphones into the other end. Quality audio, at minimum effort.
We’ve rounded up the best USB-C to AUX adapters, so you can carry on listening. We’ve also found some of the best USB-C splitters, and some USB-C to 3.5 mm headphone jacks as well. That way, you have everything you want for all your audio needs.
The Best USB-C To Aux Port Adapters
BEST USB-C TO AUX PORT ADAPTERS
The JSAUX USB-C to 3.5 mm adapter is perfect for anyone who’s had a bad experience with an adapter in the past. This sturdily built piece of equipment offers good audio quality, and a long-lasting lifespan. And it’s even available in different colors.
Every part of the JSAUX adapter is built with strength. An aluminum casing supports the USB-C jack and the AUX port, while a nylon braided jacket encases the cable.
Together, they give the adapter durability, even in a compact size. There’s extra reinforcement with the relief strain design, which can stand over 15,000 bends. Perfect for keeping in your pocket.
The audio quality is also fantastic, compatible with up to 24bit/96Khz. A built-in smart DAC chip makes for a pure audio conversion, so you lose none of the sound quality.
Finally, the JSAUX is compatible with a wide range of devices, including the Samsung Galaxy, the Google Pixel, and even the iPad Pro. And you can even use it to take phone calls.
The JSAUX really prioritizes listening. If you haven’t moved to wireless because you have an excellent pair of wired headphones, this adapter ensures you don’t have to sacrifice quality.
Audio comes through crisp and clear at all levels, and the durable design means you can keep listening for longer.
- Compatible with up to 24bit/96Khz - Lose none of the audio quality with this high-performance adapter.
- Relief strain design - Can withstand over 15,000 bendings.
- Multi-functional - Listen to music, take phone calls, and use your headphone controls.
- Occasional loss of sound - Some users report the JSAUX can cut out on occasion.
BEST USB-C TO AUX PORT ADAPTERS
Sometimes all you need is a simple piece of equipment that will get the job done. That’s what you get with the NIMASO adapter. This device is cost-effective, decent quality, and reliable. Perfect if you need an adapter to get you through long days.
The NIMASO adapter is incredibly compact - shorter than the average smartphone - so it’s a great one for keeping in your pocket. The Kevlar braided casing gives it a bend lifespan of 20,000+, for an adapter that’s always on hand and ready to go.
With an upgraded DAC Chip, the NIMASO can provide high-quality audio for you to enjoy. It also supports call functions, helping you hear every detail of meetings and catch-ups.
The smart device is compatible with volume control functions on headphones, for a controllable listening experience. And it can be used for microphones, making this a truly adaptable adapter!
NIMASO have crafted an adapter of excellent quality, at a low price. Even if you rarely use wired headphones, the NIMASO is worth investing in. Providing crisp audio, and an adaptable user experience, NIMASO is an adapter for those who favor simplicity.
- Compatible - A wide compatibility allows the NIMASO to be used with most smartphones.
- Upgraded DAC chip - An incredible 32bit/384Khz potential puts this adapter in a different class.
- Kevlar braiding - Provides extra strength across multiple bends.
- Reduced movement - The smaller size requires extra bending, which can wear the adapter out quickly.
BEST USB-C SPLITTERS
If you’ve ever had to choose between your music and your battery life, you can understand the advantage of a split adapter.
This allows you to plug in both your charger and your headphones, so you never have to compromise. And the CableCreation splitter is one of the best around.
One of the most notable features of the CableCreation adapter is the shape. Rather than using a cable, which can bend and break, it uses a solid bar design.
The USB-C dongle in the center connects directly to your phone, and you can plug in the charger and headphones on either end. Nothing gets tangled, it’s easy to use, and it fits smartly onto the end of your phone.
But the CableCreation adapter isn’t just a clever design. It supports hi-res audio, up to 32bit/384Khz, with an updated DAC chip built-in. Music stays consistent and clear, even as you charge.
With a sleek and stylish casing, the CableCreation split adapter really works for daily usage.
- 32bit/384Khz audio quality - Supports all your audio needs.
- Compatible - Use with smartphones by Google, Samsung, and Huawei.
- No cables - The compact design adds no extra cables, supporting durability.
- Doesn’t work with thicker phone cases - The CableCreation splitter isn’t compatible with phone cases over 2.8 mm.
BEST USB-C SPLITTERS
The ESR USB-C splitter has a port for both your charger and your headphone, as well as fast charge capability.
That means when your battery starts to get low, you can have it charged in no time at all. And with the split design, there’s no compromise to your listening.
Although it looks simple, the ESR cable has some impressive functionality. The hi-res DAC chip provides stable audio with a clear quality, up to 24bit/96Khz. Premium materials keep the design compact, but with an improved durability.
It won’t take up space, so you can listen and charge, without too many inconvenient cables. And a broad compatibility makes this a great product for a variety of smartphones.
A low price and simple design aids the practicality of the ESR splitter. For people who are regularly on the go, this charger and headphone combo is slim enough to fit into a pocket.
With fast charging, it’s a splitter that will only need space for a charger in short bursts.
If there is one downside, it’s that you have to plug everything in the right way. First, plug in your headphones, then plug in your charger, and finally connect to the phone. It may only be a small change, but remembering the order every time can get frustrating.
- Supports fast-charging - Have your device powered up in no time.
- Compatibility - Use with a range of smartphones from different brands.
- Size - A compact design that can fit in a pocket.
- Needs to be connected in order - If you’re wondering why your splitter isn’t working, it might be because you plugged in out of sync.
BEST USB-C TO 3.5 MM JACK ADAPTERS
Headphones are all well and good, but they rarely have the same quality of audio as a speaker.
But when your best music is on your phone, you might never get the chance to enjoy your tunes with the crispest sound quality. Unless you have a USB-C to headphone jack adapter.
ZOOAUX have created a USB-C to headphone jack that’s simple and functional, and ensures your audio is still good quality. Supporting up to 24bit/96Khz, with a powerful DAC chip, sound comes through clear and consistent.
The relief strain design allows this 4-foot cable to be bent over 40,000 times without experiencing damage. Nylon braided, the cord is tangle free, which is a relief for audiophiles everywhere.
Never waste precious headbanging minutes untangling cable with the ZOOAUX. An aluminum alloy shell and nickel plating brings durability to the entire length of the cable.
Despite the length, the adapter is lightweight and easy to carry. It can slip into a pocket, providing you with access to quality audio every day.
And if you prefer your cables a little more stylish, the adapter also comes in red!
- Relief strain design - Resits over 40,000 bends, for a durable finish.
- Compatible - Can be used to connect smartphones and laptops to various speakers.
- 18-month guarantee - A long guarantee provides some extra peace of mind.
- Can disconnect - Excessive movement can lead to disconnection.
BEST USB-C TO 3.5 MM JACK ADAPTERS
The easy-to-use adapter from Elebase features a braided cord, a built-in DAC adapter, and a bargain price. The durable design is compatible with a range of devices, for easy listening wherever you are, and whatever you might be using.
As well as a built-in DAC chip, the Elebase cable uses gold-plated connectors to provide you with stable audio transmission.
A double braided cable provides extra durability across frequent bends, and the aluminum alloy casing leaves the adapter strong for many uses.
A handy Velcro strap can be used to easily wrap the cable, and secure it into place. The cable won’t get knotted, and you can keep excess cable out of the way as you listen.
A 12-month warranty provides you with some extra quality reassurance, and a friendly customer service team can guide you through any problems.
The only issue to raise is the bend testing. Elebase says their cable can withstand 7000+ bends. Not bad, but lacking compared to some other cables on the market.
- Gold-plated connectors - Ensures a steady connection and high-quality audio.
- Double-braided exterior - A hardy outer shell that won’t fray and fall apart.
- Velcro strap - Keep your cables in order with this useful, if simple, storage system.
- 7000+ bend tested lifespan - A decent lifespan, but there’s better available for a slight additional cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is your USB-C adapter having some issues? Use this guide to sort them out.
Why Is My USB-C To AUX Adapter Not Working?
If your USB-C adapter isn’t working, there are a few tricks you can try to get it going again.
- Begin by restarting the phone. The issue may be related to the audio driver in your phone, rather than the adapter. Try restarting, or rebooting programs, and see if this fixes the issue.
- Clean the adapter. Adapters can gather dust and dirt in the port, especially if you have a habit of keeping it in your pocket. Clean using a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol.
- Update the phone. The final step is to complete any updates to the phone’s operating system (OS). This may be causing an issue with the audio drive.
- Try inserting in a different order. Some adapters, particularly splitters, need to be plugged in using a certain order. If they aren’t, the sound won’t work.
If you’ve tried all of this, and there’s still no improvement, the adapter cord probably needs replacing.
How Do I Stop The Humming Noise From The AUX?
The humming or hissing noise that sometimes comes from the AUX cable is caused by the ground loop effect. This is when several devices are connected through different circuits, causing feedback. A high-quality cable with good shielding should stop this.
- 9 Best Apple Wireless Chargers - September 5, 2022
- Mac Charger Cord Turns Yellow: Causes and Super Easy Fixes - September 5, 2022
- How To Fix An iPod Not Charging in 7 Effortless Methods - September 5, 2022